January 9, 2013

i see you emily owens, m.d.


"...it's about whether a change on the outside can provoke change on the inside." Emily Owens, MD

So I admit that I watch a lot of TV. Usually with my computer on my lap because very early on in life I learned to do my homework with the TV on and it never stopped. I used to parse Hebrew verbs while watching Friends. True. Story. Anyway, so I've recently started watching Emily Owens, MD. I'm not a regular viewer but its a quirky little medical drama and I'm a sucker for quirky little medical dramas. I'm a little bummed it's been cancelled

So in last night's episode, Emily Owens, MD has a patient who inspired her to not be so predictable, to not do what was expected or the usual. I totally got it. As I enter my 40th year, I no longer want to be so predictable. I want to take chances. I want to do what's NOT expected. So much so, that I'm pretty certain that when I have to make a decision, I will go in the exact opposite of what's comfortable and expected of me. Now I don't want to make stupid choices, but there's something to be said for mixing it up a little and letting yourself do some free falling.

For Emily Owens, MD, to shake off her predictability, she went on a blind date. So in solidarity with Emily, I cut off my hair today. (I bet you thought I was going to say I went on a blind date. Ha! 1. There hasn't been enough time to go on a date since the episode aired last night. 2. Don't get me wrong, I am completely open to a blind date SO if there is someone you'd like to fix me up with...) My hair was half way down my back, and now it's much closer to my ears. I'm pretty sure my hairdresser cut off at least 8 inches in some places. There is NO ponytail available to me which scares the crap out of me but at the same time, I LOVE IT! It forces me to make a change. And in my book, change, is the way to go. Change can lead to the unexpected, the unusual, the unpredictable. And that's what I'm talking about.

Now I know the quote at the top of this blog was not really what this blog was about which, as far as I'm concerned, is perfectly okay. Still, I hope it gives you some food for thought. I'm convinced that changing my hair and maybe making some changes to the way I dress (I promise NOT to buy any more black AND I'm going to go back to wearing a bit of makeup daily) will help shift some of that predictability in me and in my life. In any event, it's worth a shot. (see, I did address the quote!)


I pray you see beauty, practice gratefulness, and experience the goodness of life in this new year. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. So great to find another fan of this show!! We're having a Two Week Mail In Campaign to the CW to Save Emily Owens #resuscitateemilyowens #saveemilyowens All details here: http://mailinemilyowens.blogspot.ca

    Thanks so much for your support!!

    ReplyDelete